The tunnel, located near China border, is expected to give India strategic heft by facilitating faster movement of its troops.
Here are key things to know about the tunnel …
* The tunnel goes through Sela Pass and is expected to cut down the distance to China border through Tawang by 10 km.
* It is located on the border between the Tawang and West Kameng districts of Arunachal.
* The project consists of two tunnels. Tunnel 1 is 980 meters in length while tunnel 2 is a twin tube tunnel which is 1,555 meters in length.
* The tunnel would also cut down the travel time between the Army’s 4 Corps headquarters at Tezpur in Assam and Tawang by at least an hour.
* The Sela tunnel’s construction work is expected to be over by June 2022.
The Saga of Sela Tunnel https://t.co/5K2BLc6ENE
— Rajnath Singh (@rajnathsingh) 1634188779000
* The tunnel would ensure that National Highway 13, especially the 171-km stretch between Bomdila and Tawang, remains accessible in all weather conditions.
* In 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had laid the foundation stone for the project. It will cost around Rs 687 crore.
* During the 1962 war, China’s invasion into India progressed swiftly after Sela was overrun by the PLA.
* “It (Sela Tunnel) will not only strengthen security but also connect far-flung areas, making it feasible for the people of West Arunachal to commute. It’ll increase tourism & improve economy,” DG BRO Lt Gen Rajeev Chaudhary told news agency ANI.
(With inputs from agencies)