NEW DELHI: Registering over 60,000 cases in 24 hours for the first time, India’s Covid-19 tally galloped past 20 lakh on Friday, while the number of recoveries surged to 13.78 lakh, according to Union health ministry data.
Here is a look at the top developments —
- Overseas Citizen of India cardholders from the US, the UK, Germany, France to be allowed to visit India; more countries may be included in future: Home Ministry
- India hockey captain Manpreet Singh and three other players test positive for Covid-19 ahead of national camp in Bengaluru.
- Serum Institute of India said it has entered into a new partnership with international vaccine alliance Gavi and Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to accelerate manufacturing and delivery of up to 100 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines for India as well as other low and middle-income countries.
- “Vaccines will be priced at a maximum $3 per dose and made available to up to 92 countries included in Gavi’s COVAX Advance Market Commitment. This collaboration underscores India’s proven-track record in developing safe and quality vaccines,” said Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance.
- India’s Covid-19 management is marked by “two significant achievements” of continuously rising recovery rate among Covid-19 patients and a case fatality rate that has remained much below the global average, according to the health ministry.
- BCG vaccine is safe, does not increase Covid risk, says Study. The study compared groups of volunteers who have received a BCG vaccine in the past five years (before the corona pandemic), showing that the vaccine is safe and possibly influences Covid-19 symptoms.
- While the overwhelming majority of active Covid cases in states like Maharashtra, West Bengal and Gujarat are concentrated in the big cities, in UP, Bihar, Odisha and Andhra Pradesh, the biggest cities account for between 16% and 28% of active cases. This is a worry because in every state the concentration of health personnel and infrastructure is in the large urban centres.
- The Kerala health department has come out with the advisory on home care of asymptomatic Covid-19 patients. The SOP for home-based management of asymptomatic Covid-19 patients shall be decided by the district administration, which will decide depending upon the epidemic situation prevailing in the district.
- Haryana Government exempts pregnant female employees working in State Civil Secretariat from attending the office and allows them to work from home.
- Karnataka CM BS Yediyurappa continues to be stable since his admission on 2nd August 2020 for Covid-9. He is responding well to the treatment. His vital parameters are within normal limits. He is comfortable, attending to his duties from his room: Manipal Hospital, Bengaluru
- Madhya Pradesh govt relaxes night curfew by two hours, restriction now from 10 pm to 5 am; weekend lockdown partially lifted in coronavirus-affected districts of state.
- Pakistan government on Friday announced the resumption of international flight operations at all airports in the country from August 09 as a part of lifting coronavirus-triggered restrictions.
- Mexico’s coronavirus death toll passes 50,000. The report from the health department on Thursday brought the country’s accumulated death toll to 50,517. That is the third-highest death toll in the world, behind only the United States and Brazil.
- The United States has recorded over 160,000 deaths due to coronavirus till now, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. With 4,881,974 positive cases, the US continues to be the worst-affected country followed by Brazil.
- New York City opened new traveller checkpoints Thursday to register visitors and residents returning from nearly three dozen states who are required to quarantine for 14 days — an initiative that drew swift criticism from privacy advocates.
- Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam says the semi-autonomous Chinese city will offer free coronavirus testing for all its 7.5 million residents beginning in two weeks.
- The Swiss federal government has struck a deal with Moderna to supply Switzerland with 4.5 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine if the U.S. biotech firm successfully develops one.
- Pakistan’s daily infection rate has stayed under 1,000 for more than three weeks, occasionally dropping to 300 and prompting the government to further ease restrictions with restaurants, parks and even gyms opening next week.
- The United Nations’ counterterrorism chief says a 350% increase in phishing websites was reported in the first quarter of the year and many of them targeted hospitals and health care systems, hindering their response to the coronavirus pandemic.